If you’ve noticed that some games on your PlayStation 5 home menu appear with a locked icon, preventing you from playing them, you might be wondering what’s causing this issue. In this informative guide, we will explore the reasons behind locked game icons and provide solutions to help you regain access to your games.
Causes of Locked Game Icons on PS5 Home Menu
- License Verification Issues: The locked icon may appear if your PlayStation 5 is unable to verify the license for the game. This can happen if you’re not signed in to the correct account that purchased the game, or if there’s a temporary issue with PlayStation Network (PSN).
- Expired Game Subscriptions: If you’ve downloaded a game through a subscription service like PlayStation Now or PlayStation Plus, the locked icon may appear when your subscription has expired or if you’ve lost access to the service.
- Parental Control Restrictions: If your PlayStation 5 has parental control settings enabled, the locked icon may appear on games that exceed the allowed age rating or content restrictions.
- Corrupted Game Data: In rare cases, the locked icon may appear if the game data is corrupted or incomplete, preventing the game from launching.
Solutions to Unlock Game Icons on PS5 Home Menu
- Sign in to the Correct Account: Ensure that you’re signed in to the account that purchased the game. If you’re using a different account, log out and sign in with the correct one.
- Restore Licenses: If you’re signed in to the correct account, try restoring licenses for your games. To do this, go to Settings > Users and Accounts > Other > Restore Licenses. This will prompt your PlayStation 5 to verify the licenses for all your games and may resolve the locked icon issue.
- Check Your Subscription Status: If the locked game was accessed through a subscription service, ensure that your subscription is still active. If it has expired, you’ll need to renew your subscription to regain access to the game.
- Adjust Parental Control Settings: If parental control settings are causing the locked icon, you can adjust the settings by going to Settings > Family and Parental Controls. Keep in mind that you may need the family manager’s permission to make changes to these settings.
- Reinstall the Game: If the locked icon is due to corrupted game data, you may need to delete and reinstall the game. To do this, highlight the game on the home menu, press the Options button on your controller, and select Delete. Afterwards, reinstall the game from your library or the PlayStation Store.
- Check PlayStation Network Status: If none of the above solutions work, there may be an issue with PlayStation Network. Visit the PlayStation Network Service Status page to check for any ongoing issues or maintenance. If there’s an issue, wait for it to be resolved before attempting to access your locked games.
By following these solutions, you should be able to unlock the game icons on your PlayStation 5 home menu and enjoy your gaming experience without any interruptions.