Metal Gear Solid is a classic stealth-action game, created by Hideo Kojima, is filled with memorable moments, compelling characters, and a rich, intricate story. But beyond the main narrative, there’s a treasure trove of easter eggs, unique codec conversations, and alternate scenes that many players may have missed. In this article, we’ll take a deep dive into some of the most interesting and lesser-known aspects of the game, providing you with step-by-step instructions on how to trigger these hidden surprises. Get ready to rediscover the world of Solid Snake and uncover the secrets that lie beneath the surface of this groundbreaking game.
Here’s a guide on the most interesting easter eggs from Metal Gear Solid (1998) and how to trigger them, based on the information provided from the link:
- Instant Elevator Arrival: Double press the elevator call button to make it arrive immediately. Useful for speed runs.
- Tuxedo Snake: Beat the game twice, with both Meryl’s and Otacon’s endings, on the same save slot. Snake will wear a tuxedo in the new game.
- Meryl’s Pants: There are two ways to see Meryl without her pants:
- a) In the vents on the way to the DARPA chief, look down into Meryl’s cell and watch her work out. Leave the vent, go back in, and repeat 5-6 times.
- b) Find Meryl when she’s pretending to be a soldier. When she runs to the restroom, get to the last stall within 5 seconds.
- Hideo Kojima Ghost: After beating the Ninja, take a picture of the orange-like robots in Otacon’s lab. Reset and load the picture to see a ghost image of Hideo Kojima.
- Psycho Mantis Memory Card Easter Eggs: Psycho Mantis will mention specific games saved on your memory card, such as Azure Dreams, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Policenauts. He can also comment on your favorite genres and studios based on your saved games.
- Infinite Ammo Bandana: Do not submit to Ocelot’s torture, beat the game, and save the file. Start a new game on that file and you will have the Bandana item, which grants unlimited ammo.
- Stealth Camouflage: Submit to Ocelot’s torture, beat the game, and save the file. Start a new game on that file and you will have the Stealth item, which makes you invisible to enemies.
- Alternate Scenes: There are several alternate scenes in the game, such as Snake grabbing Meryl’s FAMAS instead of drawing the SOCOM (if you haven’t gotten the SOCOM), or Ocelot mocking your performance if you die repeatedly during his boss fight.
- Meryl Blushing: Stare at Meryl in first-person view for a minute or so, and she will get embarrassed and blush.
- Mei Ling Angry: Keep calling Mei Ling on the codec and say “do not save” 5-8 times. She will get mad and stop talking to you.
- Net Yaroze PlayStation in Otacon’s Lab: In Otacon’s lab, look closely at the desks, and you’ll find a Net Yaroze PlayStation with a DualShock controller.
- Unique Codec Calls: There are several unique codec calls, such as Campbell and Naomi’s reactions based on how quickly you make it up the elevator at the beginning of the game, or their reactions if you shoot Meryl while she’s bleeding out on the ground after being shot by Sniper Wolf.
These are just some of the many easter eggs in Metal Gear Solid. Enjoy discovering and triggering these hidden gems as you play through the game!