Keeping your PlayStation 5 (PS5) firmware up to date is essential to ensure optimal performance, security, and access to the latest features. In this guide, we will provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to update your PS5 firmware and discuss potential issues and error codes that can arise during the process.
Table Of Contents
How to Update PS5 Firmware
Follow these steps to update your PS5 firmware:
- Turn on your PS5 console and ensure it is connected to the internet.
- Sign in to your PlayStation Network (PSN) account.
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > Update and Settings > Update System Software.
- If there is an update available, select Update Using Internet and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update process.
Note: Your PS5 console will automatically download and install updates when it is in Rest Mode, provided you have enabled this feature in the settings.
Potential Issues and Error Codes During Firmware Update
While updating your PS5 firmware, you may encounter various issues or error codes. Here are some common error codes and their potential solutions:
Error CE-107938-8: Cannot start the application
This error occurs when the PS5 firmware update has not been installed correctly. To resolve the CE-107938-8 error:
- Restart your PS5 console.
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > Update and Settings > Update System Software and try updating the firmware again.
Error CE-118446-4: There was a problem updating the system software
This error occurs when there is an issue with the system software update, such as server issues, internet connection problems, or a corrupted update file. Refer to our informative guide on error CE-118446-4 for detailed information and potential solutions.
The PS5 update file is corrupted
This error occurs when the update file downloaded to your console is corrupted. To resolve this issue:
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > Update and Settings > Update System Software on your PS5 console.
- Select Delete Update File and confirm your selection.
- Restart your PS5 console.
- Go back to Settings > System > System Software > Update and Settings > Update System Software and select Update Using Internet to redownload the update file.
Error CE-34788-0: This update file cannot be used
This error occurs when you try to update your PS5 firmware using a USB drive, and the update file is not compatible with your console. To resolve the CE-34788-0 error:
- Ensure that you have downloaded the correct update file for your PS5 console from the official PlayStation website.
- Follow the instructions provided on the website to create a properly formatted USB drive and install the update.
Updating your PS5 firmware is crucial to ensure the best gaming experience and access to the latest features. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can easily update your console’s firmware. However, if you encounter any issues or error codes during the process, refer to the suggested solutions to resolve them. If the issues persist, you might need to contact PlayStation Support for further assistance.