Update 1.0.7 is now live!
This version fixes some compatibility issues with the upcoming Oculus 1.7 runtime and contains stability improvements when swapping in and out of VR games such as Assetto Corsa. It also attempts to fix some stutter issues with the HTC Vive introduced in a recent SteamVR update.
Update 1.0.6 is now live!
This update adds support for animated environments. The is the first environment using the new functionality. The update also fixes an issue with the Video Player not showing some options on some computers. It also changes some default options: MSAA and Xbox Controller are now disabled by default.
Update 1.0.5 is now live!
This release fixes SBS support on ultra-wide (21:9) monitors and Over-Under on regular (4:3) monitors. It also fixes an issue where the GPU usage could spike when the application was idle with the Rift.
Update 1.0.4 is now live!
This update adds a couple requested features and basic support for various controllers.
- Added support for rotated monitors (aka portrait orientation)
- Added new Mip Mapping option for Rift users which greatly reduces text aliasing on screen
- Added basic mouse emulation with Vive touchpads
- Added basic mouse emulation with Xbox controller and Oculus Remote for Rift users
- Fixed crash with Over Under option in some environments
- Reduced CPU usage and fixed leak when application is idle with Rift
Update 1.0.3 is now live!
This update adds more 3D viewing options, new MSAA settings and some minor fixes:
- Simplified 3D / SBS Options panel
- Added support for Over-Under 3D movies
- Added support for inverted Left-Right eyes for SBS and OU movies
- Improved performance when playing full screen 2D games
- Added MSAA toggle and slider
Update 1.0.2 is now live!
This update adds a new Environment Store along with small improvements and bug fixes:
- New which allows artists to create and sell high quality environments. With the launch, 3 very cool environments created by community members are available:
Purchased environments will also be available from the Oculus Home version if you have a Rift but you will need to run Virtual Desktop on Steam first after you’ve made your purchase. Note: The store only works with Chrome at the moment.
- Added ability to delete photos directly from the 360 Photos tab
- Fixed issue with subscribed workshop environments not loading when VRD is installed in a non-default location
- Fixed certificate issue with some users when pasting YouTube 360 videos
- Fixed black screen in home theater when multi-monitor was enabled
Update 1.0.1 is now live!
This update adds Steam Workshop integration along with many improvements and bug fixes:
- Steam Workshop integration (Steam will need to run for new environments to be downloaded)
- Increased process priority to help with framerates and audio glitches when running games
- Executables are now signed which should solve the issues with Anti-Virus software
- Added a Force OpenVR option for Rift users (using OpenVR doesn’t bring much value at the moment)
- Vive controllers will now appear at the right position when the Floating option is checked
- The 360 video Open Dialog will now restore the last directory
Virtual Desktop is now available to Play! The first time you launch it, you will be prompted with a key. This key lets you redeem the app on Oculus Home (if you have a Rift) through Settings -> Account -> Redeem Code.
If you encounter any issues, please let me know in the discussions section.
The Workshop integration is partially there: you can create and submit your own environments, users will be able to download them in a future update.
About the Software
Virtual Desktop is an application developed for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive that lets you use your computer in VR. You can browse the web, watch movies, Netflix or even play games on a giant virtual screen.
Other features include:
- Hardware accelerated 360 video playback
- Ability to play/stream YouTube 360 videos
- Browse and view 360 photos
- MilkDrop support for music visualization
- 3D Side-By-Side video support
- Game launcher with voice commands
- Environment Editor to create custom environments
- Steam Workshop integration for environments