- Author : Pink Monkey
- Time To Complete : 80+ Hours
- Difficulty : 3
- Online : 0/84
- Offline : 84/84
- Missable : N/A
- Glitched : N/A
- Num Playthroughs : 1
- This guide will COMPLETELY ignore the fact of console commands, so do not ask me anything regarding those.
- There are already other guides regarding settings that you should use such as disabling mouse acceleration, FOV, etc. Won’t be covered here, though I do recommend that you do check it out to improve your gaming experience.
- This will avoid spoilers as much as possible, but as it is a walkthrough, that will be difficult.
Traversing the Guide
- The walkthrough will start from the beginning linearly while pointing out various things that SHOULD be done as you go about the game.
- Then, once you get to the Institute, the guide will break-up into 3 parts due to the 3 major endings. I do not consider the Minuteman ending to be major due to the fact it only has 1 achievement which is shared with the Brotherhood of Steel ending.
Counters to Know
- You need 20 magazines out of a total of 123 magazines.
- You need 20 bobbleheads out of a total of 20 bobbleheads.
- You need 50 terminals hacked.
- You need 50 locks picked.
- You need 10 side quests completed.
- You need 50 miscellaneous objectives completed.
- You need 300 people killed.
- You need 300 creatures killed.
- You need 100 items crafted.
- You need 50 weapon mods crafted.
- You need 100 workshop items crafted.
- You need 1000 resources scavenged.
While most of these counters are obvious, as long as you do the tasks regarding them, you should meet these milestones with relative ease. If you see a lock, pick it. If you see a terminal, hack it. If you see an enemy, kill it. Side quests can be done whenever you wish.
Magazines and Bobbleheads are probably recommended to be done when you do specific quests and go through an area. Then having all your SPECIAL bobbleheads would help massively.
I recommend hoarding everything you see, UNLESS, you know it has no use. Such as folders. The more resources you have, the more successful your settlement will be. Especially keep an eye out for special component like circuitry or gears or screws.
Now the most important thing you have to worry about is the Miscellaneous Objective. EVERY city you go to, talk to all the NAMED NPCs to see if they have work to give. These jobs will directly result in a miscellaneous objective. IF you already completed the task, then you will only get caps and no counter to your miscellaneous objective. So it’s best to receive all miscellaneous objectives before you ever get a chance to do them.
- In the English version of Fallout 4, the name you pick for your character MAY be recognized by the game accompanied with verbal audio. See this link here.
- While this decision is completely up to you, I would personally recommend putting intelligence at 9 or 10. The more intelligence you have, the more experience points you receive which will ultimately help you obtain level 50 at a much earlier rate (less grinding). Plus being a higher level generally equates to easier game-play. SPECIALs currently can exceed 10 with the use of perks and bobbleheads.
- I will recommend as well as note perks that you’re going to need to complete all achievements in Fallout 4.
- Also perk tiers require a specific generic level as well as a perk requirement. (i.e. Tier 3 Hacker requires you to be level 21)
Early Game Stage
- Whenever you can, always level up both Locksmith AND Hacker until Tier 3. This will severely improve your chances for maxing out two specific companions as well as complete the 50 locks picked and 50 terminals hacked.
- Strong Back is an extremely valuable perk due to the increase in carry weight as the game is now more favorable to hoarders for components
- Items are scarce, so leveling up Medic to max will also reduce the amount of healing consumables that you consume. If you wish to rely more on food/water, then pick up
Mid Game Stage
- Local Leader is the 6 Charisma perk that allows you to establish supply routes as well as access important buildings invaluable to the ‘Benevolent Leader’ achievement. It’s best to learn how settlements work in order to build more efficiently reserving components.
Late Game Stage
- To get the ‘Pranksters Return’ achievement, you need to place a LIVE grenade/mine into ANYONE’s inventory through pickpocketing. You will need the PER1 skill, Pickpocket at Tier 2
- Your default carry weight is 200 units. For each point in Strength, you gain 10 units of carry weight. So at 10 Strength, you will have a carry weight of 300.
- Your default melee damage multiplier is 1. For each point in Strength, you gain 0.1 added to your damage multiplier. So at 10 Strength, you will have 2x melee damage (1+10*(0.1)).
|Iron Fist||1||5||Increases punching attack damage (+20%/tier)|
|Big Leagues||2||5||Increases melee weapon damage (+20%/tier)|
|Armorer||3||4||Grants access to armor mods|
|Blacksmith||4||3||Grants access to gun mods|
|Heavy Gunner||5||5||Increases Heavy Guns damage (+20%/tier)|
|Strong Back||6||4||Tier 1-2: +25 Carry Weight (each); Tier 3-4: Overencumbered Bonuses|
|Steady Aim||7||2||Improves hip-fire accuracy|
|Basher||8||4||Increases gun bashing damage (+25%/tier)|
|Rooted||9||3||Increased Damage Resistance and Melee Damage while not moving|
|Pain Train||10||3||Improves stagger and stuns when charging with Power Armor|
- Perception no longer affect distance where enemies appear on compass
- Perception will directly affect accuracy in V.A.T.S, lockpicking (actual difficulty as opposed to difficulty rankings), and stealing (success rate).
|Pickpocket||1||4||Increases success rate of pickpocketing (+25%/tier)|
|Rifleman||2||5||Increases damage and penetration of non-automatic rifles (+20%/tier)|
|Awareness||3||1||Display enemy damage resistances in V.A.T.S.|
|Locksmith||4||4||Increase lockpicking rank (Advance, Expert, Master). Tier 4: Bobby pins don’t break|
|Demolition Expert||5||4||Increases explosive damage (+25%/tier)|
|Night Person||6||2||Between 6PM-6AM: Tier 1: +2 INT/PER; Tier2: +3 INT/PER|
|Refractor||7||5||Increases energy resistance (+10/tier)|
|Sniper||8||3||Tier 1: Improved control/breath; Tier 2: Knock-down; Tier 3: +25% HS Accuracy in V.A.T.S.|
|Concentrated Fire||10||3||V.A.T.S. Accuracy and Damage|
- Decreases AP depletion while sprinting
- You have a default health bar of 80 hit points. You get 5 hit points per Endurance point. So at 10 endurance, you can get 130 hit points.
- Hit Points gained per level is increased with a default of 2.5 and +0.5 per every endurance point. So at 10 endurance, you will earn 7.5 hit points per level.
- In regards to Endurance, IF you get 10 endurance AND THEN pick up the Endurance bobblehead, you will in theory have 11 endurance AND will receive even more health than you already do get.
- Also health is given retroactively, so you will end up with the same health no matter when you start increasing Endurance.
|Toughness||1||5||Increases Damage Resistance (+10/tier)|
|Lead Belly||2||3||Decreases radiation from consumables; Tier 3: No radiation from consumables|
|Lifegiver||3||3||Increases max health (+20/tier); Tier 3: Health regen|
|Chem Resistant||4||2||Decreases rate of chem addiction (+50%/tier)|
|Aquaboy/Aquagirl||5||2||Tier 1: No radiation, can breathe underwater; Tier 2: Undetectable underwater|
|Rad Resistant||6||3||Increases radiation resistance (+10/tier)|
|Adamantium Skeleton||7||3||Decrease limb damage (+30%/tier); Tier 3: No limb damage|
|Cannibal||8||3||Can feed from corpses; Human, Ghouls, Super Mutants|
|Ghoulish||9||3||Radiation causes health to regenerate; Tier 3: Possible friendly feral ghouls|
|Solar Powered||10||3||Between 6AM-6PM: Tier 1: +2 STR/END; Tier 2: Heal radiation damage; Tier 3: Health regen|
- Decreases chance of being addicted to alcohol or drugs
- Improves bartering; buy at lower prices, sell at higher prices
- Increasing Charisma to 11 will continue to affect barter prices
- Increase maximum population per settlement at a 1:1 point to settler
|Cap Collector||1||3||Improves bartering further; Tier 3: Invest in stores to improve buying capacity|
|Lady Killer / Black Widow||2||3||The opposite sex receives additional damage (+5%/tier)|
|Lone Wanderer||3||3||Tier 1: +50 Carry/85% Damage Received, Tier 2: +100 Carry/70% Damage Receive (total w/ Tier 1); Tier 3: +25% Damage|
|Attack Dog||4||3||Canine companion can immobilize enemies; Tier 1: Higher accuracy in V.A.T.S.; Tier 2: Chance of Limb Damage; Tier 3: Chance of Bleeding Effect|
|Animal Friend||5||3||Control animals after pacifying|
|Local Leader||6||2||Tier 1: Establish Supply Lines; Tier 2: Workshop access to more shops|
|Party Boy/Party Girl||7||3||Alcohol buffs; no addiction, double effects, +3 LUK while under the influence|
|Inspirational||8||3||Companion buffs; No team attack on both ends; More Damage Resistance; Carry more weight|
|Wasteland Whisperer||9||3||Control creatures after pacifying|
|Intimidation||10||3||Control people after pacifying|
- Improves amount of experience earned. Base EXP modifier is 1. Gain a +0.03 modifier for each point in Intelligence. So at 10 Intelligence, you’ll earn 1.3x EXP for tasks.
- Retrieving the Intelligence Bobblehead after hitting 10 intelligence will set it to 11 for 1.33x EXP. Unsure if that actually makes a difference to be worth it though as EXP rounds down after the modifier.
|V.A.N.S||1||1||V.A.T.S. gives the route to the closest quest target|
|Medic||2||4||Increases effectiveness of stimpaks and radaway; starts at +40% (+20%/tier); Tier 4: Rate of effect is increased|
|Gun Nut||3||4||Gain access to gun mods|
|Hacker||4||4||Improve hacking tier (Advanced, Expert, Master); Tier 4: Cannot be locked out of a terminal|
|Scrapper||5||2||Tier 1: Salvage special components from weapons/armor; Tier 2: Salvage other specialc omponents from weapons/armor & can favorite components to be highlighted while hoarding|
|Science!||6||4||Gain access to high-tech mods|
|Chemist||7||4||Increases duration of chems (+50%/tier)|
|Robotics Expert||8||3||Control robots after hacking them|
|Nuclear Physicist||9||3||Increase radiation weapon damage and fusion core duration; Tier 3: Fusion cores can be detonated from Power Armors.|
|Nerd Rage!||10||3||Effect occurs when you are under 20% Health; Increase DR, Damage; Tier 1: +20/20; Tier 2: +30/30; Tier 3: +40/40 and kills regenerate health|
- Decreases rate of detection when sneaking
- Increases amount of Action Points
|Gunsilnger||1||5||Increase non-automatic pistol damage (+20%/tier)|
|Commando||2||5||Increase automatic rifle damage (+20%/tier)|
|Sneak||3||5||Improves ability to stealth; +10% difficulty to detect per tier start at 20% to Tier 4; Tier 5: Distant enemies lose you|
|Mister Sandman||4||3||Improve sneak damage with silenced weapons (+15/30/50); Tier 1: Instantly kill sleeping enemies|
|Action Boy / Action Girl||5||2||Improve action rate regeneration speed (+50%/tier)|
|Moving Target||6||3||Increases damage and energy resistance when sprinting (+25/50/0); Tier 3: Sprinting uses 50% less Action Points|
|Ninja||7||3||Improve Sneak Damage and Melee Sneak Damage (2.5x & 4x/3x & 5x/3.5x & 10x)|
|Quick Hands||8||2||Improve reloading speed; Tier 2: reloading doesn’t consume AP in V.A.T.S.|
|Blitz||9||2||Increases V.A.T.S. melee range|
|Gun Fu||10||3||Tier 1: +25% Dmg to 2nd V.A.T.S. target; Tier 2: +50% Dmg to 3rd V.A.T.S. target; Tier 3: Crit Hit to 4th V.A.T.S. target and after|
- Affects recharge rate of Criticals in V.A.T.S.
|Cap Collector||1||4||Increases amount of caps in containers; Tier 4: Chance enemies explode into caps|
|Scrounger||2||4||Increases amount of ammunition in containers|
|Bloody Mess||3||4||Increases bonus damage in combat up to 15% (+5%/10%/15%/15%); Tier 4: Exploding enemies may trigger nearby enemies to explode|
|Mysterious Stranger||4||3||Using V.A.T.S. may cause the stranger to help with damage; tiers increase chance of appearance|
|Idiot Savant||5||3||Random receive heightened experience (3x/5x/5x); Tier 3: May trigger 3x EXP over a period of time for kills|
|Better Criticals||6||3||Increase critical damage; (+50%/tier)|
|Critical Banker||7||3||Can save additional critical shots in V.A.T.S (2/3/3); Tier 3: Chance that using a critical shot will not expend the critical|
|Grim Reaper’s Sprint||8||3||V.A.T.S. kills have a chance to restore all AP (15%/25%/35%); Tier 3: Also can restore critical meter|
|Four Leaf Clover||9||4||Increases chance that ANY hit in V.A.T.S. increases Critical Meter|
|Ricochet||10||3||Chance that enemy projectiles will ricochet back to them and kill themself; Tier 3: Also recharges critical meter|
Walkthrough – Act 1
Out of Time
- Following the introduction, you find yourself with the task of escaping the vault.
- MAGAZINE: RobCo Fun! Issue #1: On your way out, you’ll reach a kitchen with a Recreational Terminal. In this Terminal is the holotape for the game ‘Red Menace’. Simply eject the holotape, then load it back into the terminal to begin the game. Win/Lose the game and you will receive an achievement, ‘Future Retro’.
Future Retro – Play a holotape game
- Now, once you get to the vault door, simply pick up the pip-boy on the corpse and plug it into the controls to escape. Upon escape, you’ll get a final chance to edit your appearance and SPECIAL.
War Never Changes – Enter the Wasteland
- Head back home to Sanctuary and talk to your old friend.
Now that you’ve finished the first quest of the game, your next option is completely up to you. There are 4 factions to join: Minutemen, Brotherhood of Steel, Railroad, and Institute. The first three are available to you NOW with the Institute being available in Act 2 without losing any of the previous factions. Minutemen faction cannot be lost, but the other three can be. Each faction walkthrough will contain points where you eliminate other factions, so you know when you should stop to either save, or finish a different questline.
Things to note in Sanctuary Hill
- MAGAZINE: Grognak the Barbarian Issue #1 is located on your kitchen counter. +1 to ‘Print’s Not Dead’
- MAGAZINE: You’re SPECIAL is located on the ground in Shaun’s room. Increases ANY SPECIAL by 1 Point.
While it’s highly recommended that you proceed with the minutemen questline, it is possible to jump straight to the Brotherhood of Steel or the Railroad. So you may do as you wish. However doing faction questlines will only establish factions so you can progress the main story. Main story questline begins below.
Jewel of the Commonwealth
- Quest has several starting points depending on who you talk to, or if you simply head to Diamond City directly. The most common point to receive this quest is from Mama Murphy of the Minutemen follow ‘When Freedom Calls’
- MAGAZINE: Live & Love Issue #2: On your way to Diamond City, you’ll most likely cross over College Square, a metro station. Inside behind the counter contains a safe and the magazine.
- MAGAZINE: Guns and Bullets Issue #7: Not recommended at this point in the game, but you’ll also cross Fraternal Post 115 which contains this magazine. Very difficult area at this stage in the game.
- MAGAZINE: Wasteland Survival Guide Issue #1: Under the bridge just north of Diamond City is the Wreck of the USS Riptide. Inside the ship on the table lies the magazine.
- ACHIEVEMENT NOTE ‘Lovable’: When you arrive to Diamond City (Fenway Park), you’ll notice a girl at the gates arguing. This is the 3rd available companion, Piper. It is HIGHLY recommended that you travel with her in order to begin increasing her affinity. She likes when you lockpick things and when you’re nice to people in dialogue.
- Very simple achievement, once you get to Diamond City, enter the city itself. When you walk down the catwalk, you should see a 5 sided white plate on the ground which is Home Plate. Follow the road to the right to go to 1st base. Take a left at 1st base, go down and hit 2nd base, turn left and hit 3rd base. Then return to home plate to unlock this achievement.
Homerun! – Get a Homerun
- ACHIEVEMENT NOTE ‘Mercenary’: See Miscellaneous Objectives regarding Diamond City.
- This quest will lead you to Valentine’s Detective Agency.
- MAGAZINE: RobCo Fun! Issue #3: Inside Valentine’s Detective Agency on his desk is the magazine along with the Zeta Invaders holotape game.
- After receiving word that Valentine was taken to the Park Street station, make your way there. This turns out to actually be Vault 114.
- SPEECH BOBBLEHEAD: At the end where you meet Nick Valentine, the desk behind him holds the bobblehead.
- After saving Nick, you’ll find that he is another companion that you can have. He’s also a pretty good choice for the ‘Lovable’ as he prefers nice gestures and you hacking terminals.
Unlikely Valentine – Complete “Unlikely Valentine”
Getting a Clue
- Pretty straightforward quest, not gonna say too much about it. Kellogg’s house can be entered using a key or with Master picklocking skills (Tier 3).
- First portion is fairly straightforward, follow Dogmeat to every clue. You’re looking for cigars, ale, and blood which are in areas you expect them to be. Simply show it to Dogmeat and let him track for you. There will be a broken assaultron that is near a cigar. Talk to it. Continue your search.
- This leads you to Fort Hagen. Fairly simply straight forward zone that makes you run into a lovely circle. Then again, every area does that.
- MAGAZINE: Guns and Bullets #1: On the top floor southeast region of the map, it’s on an oval table in the kitchen.
- ENERGY WEAPONS BOBBLEHEAD: After heading down the elevator, you’ll find a kitchen area. The bobblehead is on the shelf between two refrigerators.
- MAGAZINE: U.S. Covert Operations Manual #6: Located in a bedroom east of the armory underground.
- MAGAZINE: RobCo Fun! #4: This sits next to Kellogg’s Terminal at the very end. Contains the Pip Fall holotape game.
- After the fight in Fort Hagen, loot the body, especially the brain enhancement and terminal password. Access the terminal password for clues and unlock the doors to exit.
Reunions – Complete Reunions
QUESTLINE PROGRESSION NOTE: This is the end of Act 1. In order to progress the main storyline, you MUST begin the Railroad questline. The next main story quest is: Dangerous Minds, which leads to Hunter/Hunted.
Walkthrough – Act 2
- After getting information about the Institute, you should head to the Glowing Sea to meet up with an Institute Scientist
- MAGAZINE: Tesla Science #4: Inside Rocky Cave w/ Virgil
- This leads up to a miscellaneous objective. See ‘Glowing Sea’ under Misc Obj section
- Nothing to explain here, just a ton of watching in this.
- You do have to enter Goodneighbor, so I would recommend checking the Miscellaneous objectives here.
- MAGAZINE: RobCo Fun! #5: Memory Den, on a desk in the basement w/ the holotape game Grognak and the Ruby Ruins
- MAGAZINE: Live & Love #6: The Third Rail
- MAGAZINE: Live & Love #8: Hotel Rexford
Dangerous Minds – Complete “Dangerous Minds”
- With information, you’re off to hunt a Courser.
- Head to CIT Ruins, change your pip-boy radio to Radio Freedom which is the frequency that’s used.
- Follow the signal until you reach Greenetech Genetics.
- Do quest things.
- MAGAZINE: Massachusetts Surgical Journal #7: Northside of the building between two red sofas
- POSSIBLE MISC OBJ: At the end, you should see a synth named K1-98. Need confirmation.
- If you have not already found the Railroad faction, Virgil will give you the quest Trail of Freedom if you don’t already have it. See Railroad questline.
Hunter/Hunted – Complete “Hunter/Hunted”
The Molecular Level
- You can build this with either of the three non-Institute factions with little resistance.
- Sturges at Sanctuary for the Minutemen
- Deacon at Switchboard for the Railroad
- Proctor Ingram at Boston Airport for the Brotherhood of Steel
- With either factions, you’ll be requested to hack into the Institute network and retrieve data. The data stick can be turned into ALL factions one after the other.
The Molecular Level – Complete “The Molecular Level”
- Don’t forget to receive the serum for Virgil inside of the Bioscience division in the FEV lab (closed off, novice lockpicking or expert hacking)
- It’s highly recommended to accept the Institute initially so you don’t get kicked out.
- MAGAZINE: Astoundingly Awesome Tales #12: Living Quarters winding stairs, top floor on the balcony on a table
- Do quest things.
Institutionalized – Complete “Institutionalized”
Now that you’ve gotten passed Act 2 of Fallout 4, now you’re thinking… where do I save my game in order to receive all three endings without restarting all over again. I’ll put a very brief note here, but it’ll be displayed in the endings section and in each faction section.
- Saving at this point isn’t bad either.
- You cannot lose the Minutemen unless you flat out kill them if that is even possible.
- The railroad requires you to deceive the institute so you must continue with institute quests.
- At the Mass Fusion quest, that is the first breaking point. You must pick between the Brotherhood of Steel and the Institute/Railroad. I/R are bunched b/c they’re synonymous for the time being.
- At the End of the Line quest, you will have to pick between the Institute and Railroad endings there. To pick the railroad, you will need to have done the quests up to Powering Up to keep up.
- Do not antagonize any faction via killing. The Battle of Bunker Hill is an exception, you can probably kill everyone if you wanted to.
Walkthrough – Minutemen Route
When Freedom Calls
Red Rocket Truck Stop
- You meet your second companion, Dogmeat here who will unconditionally love you. Awww
- To the south of the truck stop is a Mole Rat Den containing a Fusion Core (used to power Power Armor)
Concord/Museum of Freedom
- MAGAZINE: Taboo Tattoos Issue #10: If you reach the Concord Civic Access, in the sewers on the west end, you’ll find a room with a mattress and a corpse.
- Upon arriving here, you’ll meet the first faction of the game: The Minutemen who request your help. Do the quest and help out.
- PERCEPTION BOBBLEHEAD: On the top floor of the Museum of Freedom where all the Minutemen are holding out, the bobblehead is on a desk. (1/20)
- MAGAZINE: RobCo Fun! Issue #2: Atomic Command – Holotape Game is on the terminal in the same room as the bobblehead.
- Now you’ll have to get the power armor working for the quest, you can either hack the terminal down below for the quickest method, or if you pick up the fusion core in the mole rat den you can use that, or do as the quest suggests.
- After you complete the quest, you’ll return to Sanctuary and being the next quest: Sanctuary
When Freedom Calls – Complete “When Freedom Calls”
- MISC. OBJ: Upon returning to Sanctuary, you’ll get the next quest by talking to Sturges. This will actually complete a miscellaneous objective as well. The quest will have you setup your settlement with the proper living requirements. Build beds, water pumps, plant crops, and defenses. Upon this quest tutorial on how to build, you will have completed the quest.
Sanctuary – Complete “Sanctuary”
- MISC OBJ: After doing all that good stuff, talk to Mama Murphy. She has a miscellaneous objective to build her special chair.
- Now onto the next minutemen quest: The First Step.
The First StepTenpines Bluff
- This is the first of many “assist the settlement” missions given by the Minutemen faction. In order for a settlement to establish itself, the raiding enemies must be dealt with in order to thrive and survive.
- The quest calls to eliminate raiders at Corvega Assembly Plant.
Corvega Assembly Plant
- REPAIR BOBBLEHEAD: On the rooftop of Corvega Assembly Plant on the metal catwalks, you will find the bobblehead on the southeast corner.
- MAGAZINE: Grognak the Barbarian Issue #5 is located on the top floor inside next to Jared’s terminal.
- Clear out all the enemies INSIDE of the plant. The outside is not required, but recommended. Return to Sanctuary.
- Talk to Preston to turn in the quest. However, you must continue the dialogue to join the Minutemen and unlock the achievement ‘The First Step’.
The First Step – Join the Minutemen
MISC OBJ: From time to time, you will receive warnings that a settlement is under attack. Do not make the mistake that I made and ignore these. These are miscellaneous objectives and should be done IMMEDIATELY. Getting 50 miscellaneous objectives in general is very difficult due to missable objectives or failed objectives.
After assisting Tenpine Bluffs with the raiders at Corvega Assembly Plant, you will have to assist two more settlements and ally with them in order to progress in the Minutemen route.
Allying with Settlements
- Talk to Preston Garvey
- He sends you on a quest to help a settlement at X location
- Eliminate group of hostiles designated by said settlement
- Report back to settlement
- Report back to Preston Garvey
Community Organizer – Ally with 3 Settlements
Upon allying with 3 settlements, you will have satisfied the requirements for this achievement.
- Once you’ve allied with at least 3 settlements, talking to Preston Garvey will initiate this quest.
- The quest will consist of retaking The Castle located on the southeast region of the commonwealth. To avoid much spoiler, at most I will say this: You will fight a giant monster. You may want to do some major exploration and hoarding before you actually attempt this.
- If you do end up doing this quest, try to force yourself to land the killing blow on the giant monster. It counts towards the ‘… The Harder They Fall’ achievement, but not required. See Misc Achievements for more detail.
Taking Independence – Complete “Taking Independence”
- Note: Following the Taking of Independence, it’ll take a few days before Ronnie Shaw arrives at The Castle in order to progress with this questline (roughly 3 days).
- When finding an alternate route to the armory, you’ll hit a hallway that’s blocked by rubble, use the workshop to scrap the rubble and gain access.
- After building the Artillery, you cannot assign the default settler on the radio nor Ronnie Shaw. So if you don’t have another settler, build some resources: water, food, bedding so someone moves in. To assign: in workshop menu hit on Command [E] on the settler and then go to the artillery and hit Assign [E].
Old Guns – Complete “Old Guns”
See Walkthrough Endings from here.
Walkthrough – Brotherhood of Steel Route
Joining the Brotherhood of Steel
If you did “The First Step”, there’s a good chance that you picked up Military Frequency AF95 around the Super Duper Mart where you hear some Brotherhood of Steel being held up at a nearby Police Station. This is the introduction to the Brotherhood of Steel and you receive the quest ‘Fire Support’.
Fire Support asks you to assist the people at Cambridge Police Station. Following that, you’ll meet Paladin Danse in a nice power armor. You can express your desire to join the Brotherhood of Steel, but with many skeptics, you’re asked to assist to prove yourself to the rest of the crew. This leads up to ‘Call to Arms’ where you must retrieve the Deep Range Transmitter at Arcjet Systems.
MAGAZINE: Tesla Science Issue #1 is next to the CEO Terminal at Arcjet systems.
After returning from the quest, you’ll end up getting the quest Semper Invicta where you return back to the Police Station. Completing this quest will induct you into the Brotherhood of Steel as well as give you access to two radiant quests: Quartermasterly and Cleansing the Commonwealth.
Semper Invicta – Join the Brotherhood of Steel
Shadow of Steel
- Not much to say here. Unless you haven’t looted the Cambridge Police Station
Tour of Duty
- Not much to say here.
- Achievement Note ‘…The Harder They Fall’: Behemoth here. Land final hit for 1 counter against giant creatures.
- MAGAZINE: US Covert Operations Manual #8: General Brock’s desk first floor
- If you want to succeed this mission, save before talking to Li. You need to pass the persuasion check in order to get her to leave.
Outside the Wire
- Not much to say here.
- Head of Development depends if you convinced Doctor Li back.
- If not, you’ll have to retrieve Doctor Scara from the General Atomics galleria.
- MAGAZINE: Astoundingly Awesome Tales #10: Sentinel Site near the big stockpile room that you have to get to in a metal hut at the end of a tunnel.
- This is ultimately the end of the Railroad route prior to Mass Fusion if you progress the Brotherhood of Steel quests this quickly. So if you haven’t done Mass Fusion, then this is the first chance to fail the Railroad ending.
Spoils of War/Mass Fusion
- They’re grouped together because Mass Fusion is required for Spoils of War.
- This is where you pick between the Institute and the Brotherhood of Steel
- MAGAZINE: Tesla Science #7: Computer bank in the mezzannine room
- STRENGTH BOBBLEHEAD: While going down the elevator, you’ll be stopped and have to reactivate the elevator. Head all the way in this area to the 6th floor, look over the middle area and you should see a statue. The bobblehead is on the head of the statue.
- At one point you will have to go over a river. May be difficult with power armor. Just a note.
Ad Victoriam – Complete “Ad Victoriam”
The Nuclear Option
A New Dawn
- You are promoted to Sentinel
- Proctor Teagan should have a weapon for you.
Walkthrough – Railroad Route
Road to Freedom
- Follows real world Freedom Trail.
- Boston Commons: A7
- Massachusetts State House: L4
- Old Granary Burying Grounds: A2
- Old State House: O6
- Old Corner Bookstore: 3I
- Faneuil Hall: 5R
- Paul Revere’s House: 8D
- Old North Church: 1R
- 1R A2 3I L4 5R O6 A7 8D spells RAILROAD
- Or skip to Old North Church, enter the basement. Follow until you find the dial puzzle / Freedom Trail Ring. Spin to letters of RAILROAD, hitting the center button after each letter. Can be any of the available letters.
- To prove your loyalty to Desdemona, you’ll have to help with the loss of the old Railroad HQ at Switchboard
- MAGAZINE: US Covert Operations #2 at Switchboard: in the executive office in the office area
- Tradecraft – Join the Railroad
- Requires you to complete ‘The Molecular Level’
- Meet up with Patriot in the Institute by hacking into a terminal. When at ANY terminal, load the Network Scanner holotape then return to the main menu of the terminal to send a message
- Do quests up until Pinned for Institute quests in order to finish this quest
- Underground Undercover – Complete “Underground Undercover”
Precipice of War
- Begins after Underground Undercover; may require Operation Ticonderoga
- The escape tunnel will not be accessible after this so you must use the main entrance from now on to leave
Rockets’ Red Glare
- Nothing missable on the Prydwen
- Elder Maxson has ‘The Final Judgement’ if you want to specifically loot him
- Rockets’ Red Glare – Complete “Rockets’ Red Glare”
The Nuclear Option
- The End
Walkthrough – Institute Route
- There’s a chance that your synth contact is fighting a Brotherhood of Steel vertibird when you arrive
- The decision at the end, it’s best to get rid of Gabriel in any way you wish.
- MAGAZINE: US Covert Operations Manual #7: On a red chair on the main ship
The Battle of Bunker Hill
- You can inform whichever faction you’re with when this occurs if it occurs.
- You can kill your accompanying synth at the end and still get the Institute ending.
- Running through the place with good relations with both railroad and brotherhood of steel will result no one attacking you except for the turrets. Ignore turrets anyways.
- Institute: Code Phrase the Synths
- BoS: Kill Synths & Courser
- Railroad: Free Synths & Kill Courser
- ENDINGS NOTE: Doing this quest for the Institute will make BoS your enemy and their ending impossible.
- MAGAZINE: Tesla Science #7: Computer bank in the mezzanine room
- Encounter with the Minutemen, you can handle it yourself and convince everything to ceasefire.
- A fight with a Brotherhood of Steel vertibird may occur here.
- Speech has no effect, pick whatever you want.
- Replace transmitter. The lights on the machine tell you if you got a piece right at Diamond City Radio Station. 3 = 1 right, 4 = 2 right, 5 = all right.
- After the meeting, IF you are doing Railroad ending, make sure to have Underground Undercover progressed to “Keep helping Father”. After the meeting, you will finally be able to progress the situation.
- Powering Up – Complete “Powering Up”
End of the Line
- If you’re on the side of the Institute, you will effectively destroy the Railroad.
- If you’re on the side of the Railroad, then you inform Desdemona and proceed with the Railroad questline. Because you don’t kill the core members of the Railroad, you will no longer continue Institute quests. Move to Railroad ending starting after Underground Undercover.
- If you succeeded to this point, then you’re already enemies of the Brotherhood of Steel. Eliminate them.
- Elder Maxson has ‘The Final Judgement’ weapon.
- After the events at the airport, return to the Institute for the ending.
- Nuclear Family – Complete “Nuclear Family”
Walkthrough – Endings
Below is a brief description on getting all the endings. Save notes are placed in each faction run-through.
Prepare for the Future – Decide the Fate of the Commonwealth
Doing ANY of the four endings would net this achievement.
MinutemenThis is by far the least rewarding ending for achievements, and the only ending achievement is also available in the Brotherhood of Steel ending. This is also most likely the only true good ending.
- Inside Job
- Form Ranks: In order to get this quest, you MUST be banished from the Institute. Which means you can no longer do Institute missions. If you can’t do Institute missions, then you also cannot complete the Railroad missions. Note: If you already have all settlements prior to this quest, kill off two settlements that you keep getting quests for then do them again. LOSE INSTITUTE ENDING AND THUS RAILROAD ENDING
- Defend the Castle: Requires 8+ settlements
- The Nuclear Option: FIN: NO MORE ENDINGS
- With Our Powers Combined: Brotherhood of Steel attacks
Brotherhood of SteelDepending on which ending you do first between Brotherhood of Steel or Railroad (assuming you don’t do minutemen), Nuclear Option is a quest shared by all 3 non-Institute factions.
- From Within
- Outside the Wire
- Liberty Reprimed
- Blind Betrayal
- Tactical Thinking: LOSE RAILROAD ENDING
- Spoils of War: Contains ‘Mass Fusion’ quest: LOSE INSTITUTE ENDING
- Ad Victoriam
- The Nuclear Option: FIN: NO MORE ENDINGS
- A New Dawn
RailroadDepending on which ending you do first between Brotherhood of Steel or Railroad (assuming you don’t do minutemen), Nuclear Option is a quest shared by all 3 non-Institute factions.
- Underground Undercover: See Institute up til End of the Line to complete this.
- Operation Ticonderoga
- Precipice of War: War against Brotherhood of Steel
- Rockets’ Red Glare
- The Nuclear Option: FIN: NO MORE ENDINGS
- Burning Cover
- Synth Retention
- The Battle of Bunker Hill: This quest involves the Institute, the BoS, and the RR. Depending which ending you’re doing, you can pick any of the 3 sides to assist within this battle. Choosing the other options will not eliminate any faction endings. Just angry leaders.
- Mass-Fusion: This is the end point between picking Institute/Railroad or Brotherhood of Steel. Before this quest is the latest possible master save for all endings.
- Powering Up
- End of the Line: LOSE RAILROAD ENDING
- Airship Down
- Nuclear Family: FIN: NO MORE ENDINGS
Prepare for the Future – Decide the Fate of the Commonwealth
Doing ANY of the four endings would net this achievement.