Welcome to this step-by-step guide on mastering the Loft scene in Alone in the Dark. This guide is prepared to help both novice and experienced gamers navigate through the opening level of this game and begin to get the hang of things.
If this is your first time playing this game, it is worth checking out our beginner’s guide to Alone in the Dark to give you a helping hand with game mechanics and other important elements of the game that will help you in the journey ahead.
Dealing with Monsters
There are two monsters that are about to appear in the Loft, and your immediate objective is to deal with them.
Option A – Prevent Monsters from Entering
As per Emily’s introduction, you can block the loft window with an old wardrobe to prevent one monster’s entry. Follow these steps:
- Move towards the red-coloured wardrobe on the left side.
- Push it forward until it blocks the window – now, this monster can’t enter.
Next, to prevent the second monster’s entry from the trapdoor:
- Go behind the red chest near the trapdoor.
- Push it so it covers the trapdoor entirely – now, the second monster can’t come in.
Option B – Fight Monsters
If you prefer learning how to deal with the monsters by engaging in a direct fight:
- Fight the bird-like monster that jumps through the window by timing your kicks and pushing it away when it gets too close.
- Handle the slow, predictable zombie that comes from the trapdoor. It should be easier to deal with.
Option C – Exit Loft Quickly (For Experienced Players)
As an experienced player, it is possible to pick up essential items and exit under one minute, before the first monster appears.
Exploring the Loft
After dealing with the monsters, you can begin exploring the loft:
- Open the wardrobe to find an old Indian cover. Take it.
- Open the chest to find a rifle with 4 bullets. Take it, but save the bullets for later use.
- Pick up the oil lantern on the table by simply walking against it.
- Search the right side of the piano to find Jeremy Hartwood’s suicide letter. This provides some backstory.
- Search the library to find a book: an extract from The Golden Fleece. This book provides hints on destroying monsters. However, don’t keep it, as it will just encumber you.
Once you’ve explored the loft, move to the end of the room (near the rocking horse) and take the stairway down. You will end up in the storeroom.
Sure, here is a list of potential questions and answers users of “Alone in the Dark” may have, focusing on the loft scene:
Q: How do I prevent monsters from entering the loft?
A: To prevent the monsters from entering the loft, firstly move to the red wardrobe located on the left and push it forward to block the window. To prevent the second monster from coming in through the trapdoor, go behind the red chest and push it onto the trapdoor.
Q: What is the best strategy for fighting monsters in the loft?
A: When combating the bird-like monster that jumps through the window, effectively time your kicks to land when the bird is in range and push it away when it gets too close with your punches. The zombie that comes from the trapdoor moves slowly, so you should be able to easily defeat it.
Q: How do I exit the loft in under one minute?
A: Exiting the loft before the monsters appear is recommended only for experienced players. The key to doing this is to quickly find the three essential items in the room – the old Indian cover in the wardrobe, the rifle with 4 bullets in the chest, and the oil lantern on the table – then immediately exit.
Q: Where do I find the old Indian cover in the loft?
A: The old Indian cover can be found inside the wardrobe in the loft. Approach the wardrobe, open it and take the Indian Cover.
Q: How do I acquire the rifle with four bullets?
A: To acquire the rifle with the four bullets, you will need to open the chest in the loft. Once opened, you will find the rifle which you are then able to take. Save the bullets for later use.
Q: How do I pick up the oil lantern in the loft?
A: The oil lantern can be picked up by simply walking against it on the table in the loft.
Q: Where can I find the background story in the loft?
A: To find the backstory, you should search the right side of the piano where you can find Jeremy Hartwood’s suicide letter. This gives you a bit of the game’s background story.
Q: How do I get tips for killing monsters in the loft?
A: Search around the library in the loft, and you will find a book: an extract from The Golden Fleece. It provides useful hints on how to destroy some monsters that you will encounter later in the game.