Welcome to the guide for the Dance Hall level in ‘Alone in the Dark’. This walkthrough is ideal for players who are looking for clear, step-by-step instructions to tackle the challenge of dancing ghosts, elusive keys, and hidden mechanisms.
The Dance Hall is infamous for its dancing ghosts who can lead to instant death with a mere touch. This guide will help you navigate this room safely, retrieve key items, and face unexpected surprises such as the crumbling bridge in the underground passage.
In this guide, you’ll find specific strategies to approach the game’s unique puzzles, and also a prepared FAQ section that pinpoints common issues and questions players usually encounter.
So prepare yourself, take a deep breath, and step into the Dance Hall… if you dare.
Dance Hall Step-By-Step Guide
Step 1: Avoid Dancing Ghosts
- On entering the Dance Hall, you’ll see dancing ghosts. DO NOT touch them at any cost as this will result in instant death.
Step 2: Ignore Optional Record
- In the corner of the room, you’ll find a record (Strauss’s “Blue Danube”). This record doesn’t have any in-game use.
Step 3: Spot the Key
- You can see a big key resting on the chimneypiece, but it’s unreachable because the ghosts block the way.
Step 4: Play the record
- Play the “Dance of Death” record found in Jeremy’s study on your gramophone, causing the ghosts to start dancing.
- IMPORTANT: Save your game before playing the record as it’s VERY easy to die here.
Step 5: Grab the Key
- Wait for an opening and go grab the key from the chimneypiece. This step can be challenging as touching the moving ghosts can lead to death.
Step 6: Exit the Dance Hall
- Once you successfully get the key, exit the room via the same door you used to enter.
Step 7: Return to Jeremy’s Study
- Head back to Jeremy’s study leaving the gramophone behind, as you won’t need it again.
Step 8: Activate the Secret Mechanism
- In Jeremy’s Study, hang the old cavalry saber (or its parts if it’s broken) on the wall shield. This activates a secret mechanism that reveals an underground passage.
- Ensure you have all the necessary items before going down as there’s no return from there.
Step 9: Navigate the Falling Bridge
- The underground passage leads to a wooden bridge that crumbles as soon as you step on it.
- RUN (do not walk) to the other side to avoid falling and dying. You will now find yourself in the red tunnels.
NOTE: From this point, it’s essential to save your game frequently due to the high risk of death.
Dance Hall FAQ
Q: How do I avoid the dancing ghosts in the Dance Hall in Alone in the Dark?
A: It’s crucial not to touch the ghosts at any time. You can avoid them by waiting for an opening when the ghosts start dancing after playing the “Dance of Death” record.
Q: What is the purpose of Strauss’s “Blue Danube” record in the Dance Hall?
A: Strauss’s “Blue Danube” record found in the Dance Hall doesn’t serve any purpose in the game. It’s merely a decorative element that can be played on your gramophone.
Q: How do I get the key from the chimneypiece in the Dance Hall in Alone in the Dark?
A: To get the key from the chimneypiece, you need to play the “Dance of Death” record on your gramophone, which makes the ghosts start dancing. Once the ghosts start moving, wait for an opening and quickly grab the key.
Q: Why can’t I retrieve my gramophone after playing the “Dance of Death” record in the Dance Hall?
A: Once you’ve played the “Dance of Death” record and grabbed the key, you should immediately leave the room. The ghosts will continue to dance, making retrieval of the gramophone quite dangerous and unnecessary, as you will not need the gramophone again in the game.
Q: How do I activate the secret mechanism in Jeremy’s Study in Alone in the Dark?
A: To activate the secret mechanism in Jeremy’s Study, hang the old cavalry saber (or its pieces if it’s broken) on the wall shield. This will reveal an underground passage.
Q: How do I navigate the crumbling bridge in the underground passage in Alone in the Dark?
A: When you reach the wooden bridge in the underground passage, you need to RUN (not walk) to the other side as the bridge will crumble as soon as you step on it. Walking will result in a fall and instant death.